Monday, January 17, 2011

Psalm 2

 Life is an adventure, to be sure. Some days are full of happiness, some days are kind of mundane, and some days are full of tears. Some though, are full of anger. most people experience a full range of emotions that give color and flavor to life, many folks tend to fall into some habit that leaves them stuck in a rut, too. some folks are mostly happy, some folks are mainly even tempered, some are habitually depressed, some habitually angry.
 My desire and intent for the blog is to try to get people stirred up to seek the Face of God. Many parents go though a terrible time when their children hit their teenage years. It is a tough time for parent and teenager alike, not only do you have the problem of a youngster struggling to become independent at a time when they lack the wisdom age brings, the parent has both the external conflict of a rebellious teenager and the internal conflict of just what decisions do you let the child make on their own and what do you put your foot down about.'tis a mixed blessing, to be sure because you see your children make some good decisions but bad decisions too. There comes some point where parents have to let go, let their children strike out on their own, and just be available to give advice when asked. Human society as a whole seems to be in a rebellious teenager stage, and seems to have been from the days of Adam to today. some of my posts will not show humanity in a very good light because scripture does not paint humanity in very good light in many areas. Our forefather Adam and foremother Eve made a basic rebelious teenager mistake by disobeying God, AND listening to the serpent. how many times this has to take place before people "get it" boggles my mind. Using myself as an example I try to understand why humanity so vigorously pulls away from their loving maker. I'm going to think out loud here about how other people see me right now. some think me nice, some think me mean, some think me indifferent. to some I am a good friend, to some I am a hanger-on, to some I am smart, to some a fool, some might consider me a bum, some might remember me as hard working. some think me a weak minded brainwashed idiot. notice the wide range of opinions here? what I have lived and what I have said is what it is, yet from one person to the next you will find a wide spectrum of opinion. why? 
 Do people's opinion OF me define who I am? how can it? look above, who's right? who's wrong? and this is using a fellow human as an example. how much wider is the human opinion of God? this is the setup for comments of this psalm.

Psa 2:1  Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?
Psa 2:2  The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
Psa 2:3  Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
Psa 2:4  He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
Psa 2:5  Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.
Psa 2:6  Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.
Psa 2:7  I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.
Psa 2:8  Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.
Psa 2:9  Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.
Psa 2:10  Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.
Psa 2:11  Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
Psa 2:12  Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Due largely to church tradition, there are many Christians who view scripture as divided between the "old" testament and the "new" testament. and because of this, many do not realize it really is just one message. there is nothing "new" about it at all, even the Jewish scholars of old awaited a messiah, anyone who read and understood the scripture know that the animal sacrifices performed in the temple were only a foreshadowing of the REAL sacrifice that had to take place for redemption. there are myriad references to Christ in the old testament, and even the Jewish holy days are in themselves prophecies of the Christ Jesus. Jesus' followers knew him to be the Messiah because of their study and knowledge of the prophecies of the scripture. It is also prophecy itself that makes the Bible the only self-confirming book known to man. nowhere else will you find any literature that possesses clear, concise reports of events that at the time of writing, hadn't happened yet. there are many other events described that have yet to happen and this psalm is one such piece. It is worthy to note that the vast majority of Jews who spent quite a bit of time studying scripture rejected their messiah in the day. these people spent more time studying the word than most folks today do I'll bet. there was no television or a culture that prizes entertainment over all else back then. and they even had many prophecies actually saying that they would reject the messiah too. so to those who make their claim to be followers of the Christ now I put this psalm up as a warning to you, many will rebel against Jesus when he returns, many of you don't realize he even made any claim TO return to the earth, or that his days as a suffering servant will be over and his future days will be as a conquering King, and this DESPITE THE FACT that there are more prophecies about this event that any other by far!!!!hundreds!!

Rom 10:1  Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
Rom 10:2  For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
Rom 10:3  For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

  This is what the Apostle Paul had to say about his fellow Jews, Does this reflect the current state of many Christians?

I ask you to take the time to read Romans chapter 9 thru the end, this might give you a better understanding about both Jewish and Christian relationship to Christ. 

 Have a blessed day!
 

No comments: